In the end of 2017, after a deep mental exploration, I turned to youtube for some visual pleasure. After I finished what I intended to see at first, I got suggested a projection mapping show, which I never imagined could be that spectacular… Half way through the video I had to pause because I had three things to do:
- exit full screen, add video to playlist, if by any chance I tripped away;
- check the festival dates, because of my then existent job planned holidays and because I have to experience this show live;
- quickly find the soundtrack, enter full screen rewind to the beginning and proceed with the masterpiece without any disturbances.
Let me save the talking. This is what I’m talking about.
Interconnection – Winner of iMapp 2016
Set HD, enter full-screen. Put some Trust.
What is Quality Art?
Not only did Limelight team tell you the story, you were the part developing it. This is what great artists do. Artist’s work serves as a platform, where you employ your creativity and imagination to finish the narrative. Great art is conscious representation of subconscious manifestation and it can not be fully understood, just like your dreams. And that’s how you know you have witnessed something of true value. It grips your attention, but you can’t fully understand why.
Why this projection mapping won?
If you enter ‘imapp” into youtube, most of the videos from the projection festival will have somewhere between 5-25 k views. But this has 384 k views at the time of writing (215k back in 2017, when I first saw it). It’s the ingenious way of telling so much in that little time window. The attention it got is well deserved.
Let me share some insights.
- Performance is named “Interconnection”. Which is a huge hint on the message it carries. Anything from the culture, architecture, nature to both – left and right hemispheres were presented interconnecting, forming;
- Strong emphasis on technological revolution. The art form itself (projection mapping) is new on decade scale. Throughout the viewer is let through digital sounds, server farms, ultimately giving birth to new form of life symbiosis of human life and artificial intelligence or “Digital God” per se;
Logic vs Emotion
My favorite part is 2:30 to 3:25 and it’s really fascinating.
Split of creative right and logical left hemispheres is a result of an internal conflict. Sides slide to opposite corners and do not seem to communicate with each other. But there’s a heart (soul, intuition) that does not pick sides and simply spreads love to both conflicting sides equally.
This results in hemispheres starting to send signals to each other once again, which a first sign of intention to unify again.
They transform into kind of energy – signal to form an obvious yin-yang, symbol of harmony around the heart. Ultimately this union gives birth to something stretching the fabric of reality itself.
The Mind in total harmony can bend reality.
That’s a powerful message. This is obviously just my own interpretation and there is more to it, than I can process with current understanding.
Imapp festival – What, where, when?
Projection mapping is a new form of visual arts. With the help of often A LOT of projectors, it turns static objects into imaging surfaces, on which things like seen before can be done.
Imapp is the largest projection mapping festival bringing together creator teams from all around the world to Bucharest, Romania (every September). Read more on official iMapp Bucharest website. Festival is far from all the Romania offers. Here’s an article from road trip around Romania from 2019.
I don’t know them, I don’t get any compensation. I simply share what I think contains value. Thank you, Limelight for an incredible work you have put together in 2016.
Learn more about Limelight Projection Mapping in their official website.
Leave a Reply